Please take a look at our current LEASE AGREEMENT FOR STRITZEL APARTMENTS
Resident Name: _________________
Resident’s Permanent Address:
__________________(Starting Date) to __________________ (Ending Date)
Your Monthly rent: _______ is due on the first day of each month.
Please read this lease carefully. It is a legal document. By signing you acknowledge that you are fully bound by all the terms and conditions hereof, irrespective of your age or legal status.
THIS LEASE AGREEMENT is entered into this _______ day of _____________________, between Stritzel Apartments LC, hereinafter referred to as Landlord, “we” or “our” and ________________________, hereinafter referred to as “tenant” “tenants” “you” or “your.”
1. LEASED PREMISES: The landlord agrees to lease to tenant and tenant agrees to lease from landlord one unfurnished bedroom, or shared bedroom, in a ___ bedroom apartment, and together with the other residents of the apartment will have the joint right to use the common areas of the apartment including the living room, kitchen, all of the associated appliances, and laundry facilities within the apartment. Your bedroom, the other bedrooms and the common areas are referred to collectively in this lease as the “Apartment.”
2. LEASE TERM: The lease starts at 12:00 pm (noon) on the starting date and ends at 12:00 pm (noon) on the ending date as defined above in the “Lease Term.” You are liable under the terms of this lease for the full Lease term. You will not be released from your liability under this Lease due to school withdrawal or transfer, loss of job, marriage, divorce, loss of other apartment residents, bad health or for any other reason.
3. SECURITY DEPOSIT. When you sign this Agreement, each tenant shall pay the Landlord, in trust, a Security Deposit equal to one month of his/her rent. This Deposit cannot be used by the Tenant to offset any one month’s rent. Also, the Security Deposit will not earn interest.
The Security Deposit shall be returned to the Tenants within 30 days after the expiration of this Lease, less your portion of the cost of any cleaning neglected by the Tenant or Tenant’s guests, excluding ordinary wear and tear. The costs will be those incurred in bringing the Premises up to the condition they were in prior to when Tenant moved in. Any physical damages that happen to the property throughout the year must be paid for immediately after repair. Costs for these repairs will be equally shared by all residents of the apartment, unless they are directly connected to one tenant.
The Landlord shall provide a written statement detailing why any portion, or all, of the Security Deposit is being withheld. All Security Deposits shall be sent to the permanent address above as specified by each Tenant.
4. CARPET CLEANING: Immediately prior to vacating the Premises, Tenant shall share equally with all other residents of the Apartment the cost of having all carpets cleaned by a professional carpet cleaner. The receipt for the work done will be given to the Landlord. Individual cleaning with the “Rug Doctor” does not meet the standards necessary and therefore is not permitted.
5. MOVING OUT: Prior to move-out, Tenant shall make an appointment with the Landlord to complete the cleaning checklist, return keys, and provide a forwarding address, if different from permanent address above.
If a Tenant’s personal property remains on the Premises upon expiration of this Lease Agreement, or if a Tenant vacates the Premises and his/her personal property remains upon the Premises, said personal property shall be considered abandoned and shall become the property of the Landlord, to be disposed of as Landlord chooses, and Landlord is relieved of all liability for doing so.
6. RENT. Rent is due on the ___ day of each month. This total rent shown above is per month, per tenant. Both the first and last month’s rent are due on moving in.
Rents are payable by check to:
412 Welch Avenue,
Ames, IA 50014.
The Landlord must receive the rent by the 3rd day after due date or Tenant will pay a late charge of $10 per day for each day after the 3rd day that the rent is late. There will be an automatic $25 charge for any check returned for insufficient funds. Landlord may require at any time that Tenants pay rent by certified cashier’s check or money order. Any amenities we provide to you, including internet service, are provided for your convenience and the failure or disruption of any of these amenities shall not reduce or offset your rent.
7. PARKING: Parking space is not included in the rent. Space in the parking lot can be rented for $______ per month, payable by the semester on a first come, first served basis. Parking spaces are reserved for permit holders only. Vehicles without proper identification will be towed at owner’s expense. We shall not be liable under any circumstances for any damage or loss to your motor vehicle or its contents. You are advised to carry appropriate insurance coverage for your vehicle.
8. RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGES: Each Tenant understands and agrees that he/she is jointly and severally liable with other residents of the apartment for any repairs made necessary in the common areas of the apartment as described above, including damages by guests. Damages repaired in these areas will be divided equally by all residents of the apartment. Tenant understands and agrees that they are solely, or in shared bedrooms, jointly, liable for all damages relating to the assigned bedroom under this lease, including damages by guests.
9. SUBLET. All sublessees require the written approval of the Landlord and must fulfill fulfill basic expectations of the other residents as filled out on their roommate matching forms. Other residents will not withhold consent for a reasonable sublease request. If a tenant is not able to sublease he/she will continue to be held responsible for the terms agreed to in this lease.
10. UTILITIES. You and your roommates are solely responsible for establishing and paying for utilities to the apartment. These are Electricity, Gas for Heating, Water and Sewer. All residents in one apartment share Utility costs equally. The shared cost is combined into one check and paid directly to each separate Utility. Someone from your group should be designated to do this. To initiate service, call—
City of Ames: 515-239-5120 (for Electricity, Water and Sewer)
Alliant Energy: 800-255-4268 (for Heating and Gas)
Century Link: 866-379-4984 (for landline phone, if desired)
It is the Tenant’s responsibility to cancel each Utility at the expiration of the Lease and to pay for all services rendered up the cancellation date. If one tenant moves out and cancels services under their name, another tenant from the same apartment must establish service in their name.
11. CONDITION OF THE PREMISES. At the commencement of this Lease, Tenant acknowledges that they have examined the Premises and are satisfied as to its condition; if there is anything regarding the Premises with which Tenant is not satisfied, Tenant shall submit to Landlord in writing, along
with photos, if desired, any items Tenant regards as defective or in need of repair. If Landlord does not receive written notice of such items, it means Tenant is satisfied with the condition of the Premises and accepts the Premises in its present condition. If items on the written list are remedied during the Lease period, vacating status will be determined by taking repairs into account; if not remedied, vacating condition will be the status of the written list noted on occupancy.
You have a duty to maintain your bedroom and common areas of the apartment you share in a tidy condition, in particularly to keep the kitchen and bathroom sanitary and dry. You shall promptly notify us of any water problems, mold or mildew growth, malfunction of the heating or air conditioning, or infestation of pests. You agree to cooperate with us in eradicating any pests and will take measures recommended by a qualified expert.
12. RIGHT OF ENTRY. The Tenant shall allow the Landlord or his agents to enter upon the Premises at any reasonable hour, after the 24-hour notification interval, for purposes of inspection, maintenance, repairs, additions, or alterations deemed necessary for proper functioning of the Apartment. In cases of emergency, the Landlord or his agents can enter at any hour to control fire, repair broken water pipes, fix major plumbing leaks, minimize flooding, etc.
After receiving notice from the Tenant that they will not be renewing the Lease, the Landlord shall have the right of entry to show the Apartment to prospective tenants and to display “For Rent” or similar signs on the Premises. The Tenant will allow Landlord similar permission for like signs to be displayed, and entry given, to prospective purchasers if the building is up for sale.
13. GUESTS: Guests do not have any rights under this lease agreement. You may not give them access keys and must be in attendance with them at all times. Persons other than those listed on the Lease Agreement shall not be permitted to establish residency on the Premises. They may stay as guests for one week. A Tenant who desires a guest to stay longer than one week requires consent by lease mates as well as the Landlord. Tenant is liable for all damages caused by guests.
There shall be no more than eight (8) people in a unit at any one time.
14. MAINTENANCE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LANDLORD.
- Comply with applicable building and housing codes.
- Provide Internet
- Provide Satellite Direct TV
- Keep all common interior areas of the building in a clean and safe condition.
- Provide an acceptable dumpster for collection of trash/garbage and have its contents removed from the Premises in a timely manner.
- Maintain all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, and appliances in good working order.
- Maintain a pleasing appearance to the building’s exterior and adjacent grounds.
- Provide for snow removal from entryways, sidewalks, steps, and parking lot.
15. TENANT RESPONSIBILITIES.
- Obey all governmental laws, ordinances and regulations.
- Be considerate of neighbors and apartment mates. All sound to be kept at a level heard only in your own apartment. Excessive noise or behavior that disturbs neighbors is prohibited at all times.
- Allow no more than 8 people total in the Apartment at one time.
- No driving on, or parking on, lawns at ANY time.
- Entry onto roofs is not permitted for ANY purpose.
- No keg parties or their can/bottle equivalents to be held within the Apartment or in the common areas inside or outside the building, including the parking lot.
- No grilling anywhere on “The Stritz” premises for lack of appropriate facilities.
- No smoking in the Apartment or common areas of the building.
- No pets of any kind or pet sitting allowed in the Apartment or building.
- No art project/spray painting inside or outside the building, including lawns and parking lot.
- No change of locks is permitted. Individually keyed bedroom locks, together with electronic apartment-entry locks, where applicable, eliminate need for lock changes.
- SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS: Ironing—on ironing boards only! Provide PADS for hot pans on Formica countertops and under hot curling irons on cultured marble countertops in bathrooms. Repairs to all are very costly and you will be held responsible!
- Close windows prior to oncoming inclement weather.
- Keep sinks, toilets, tubs, showers and all other water and plumbing apparatus in good working order. A $25 charge will be assessed for unplugging clogged toilets, garbage disposals, sinks, tub, and shower drains
- No fish tanks over 15 gallons.
- No alterations, painting, or repairs are to be made without written permission of the Landlord.
- Maintain Apartment in a clean, sanitary condition. Dispose of all trash, garbage, and waste in the dumpster located in the parking lot.
- Use only approved items to hang pictures and personal effects. Tenant accepts responsibility for damage caused to walls. Tenant shall not use spackle or touch-up paint at move-out.
- Tenant is responsible for insect control within their Apartment. If professional services are necessary, Landlord and Tenants will share costs equally.
- No live Christmas trees.
16. All TENANTS’ ACKNOWLEDGMENT REGARDING SECURITY. Tenants acknowledge that Landlord does not warrant nor guarantee the safety or security of Tenants, or Tenants’ guests against the criminal or wrongful acts of third parties. Tenants acknowledges that security devices or measures may fail or be thwarted by criminals or by electrical or mechanical malfunction. Each Tenant and guest is responsible for protecting his or her own person and property. Each Tenant shall obtain renter’s insurance to cover personal belongings at his/her sole discretion and expense.
17. NON-DELIVERY OF POSSESSION. In the event Landlord cannot deliver possession of the Premises to Tenants upon the commencement of the Lease Term, through no fault of Landlord or its agents, then Landlord or its agents shall have no liability, but the rent shall abate until possession is given. Landlord or its agents shall have 30 days in which to give possession, and if possession is tendered within such time, Tenants agree to accept the Premises and pay the rent herein provided from that date. In the event possession cannot be delivered within such time, through no fault of Landlord or its agents, then this Agreement and all rights hereunder shall terminate.
13. UNINHABITABILITY. If the residence is destroyed by fire, storm, earthquake, or other casualty not caused by Tenants, the Landlord shall have the right to terminate this Lease. If a portion of the Premises is rendered uninhabitable, the Landlord shall have the option of either repairing such damaged portion or terminating this Lease. In the event that Landlord exercises his/her right to repair the uninhabitable portion, the rent shall be pro-rated until such time that the damaged portion is restored, after which the full rent shall recommence and the Lease Agreement continue according to its terms.
14. HOLD HARMLESS. The Tenants shall neither hold, nor attempt to hold, the Landlord, Landlord’s agents, contractors and employees liable for any injury, damage, claims or loss to person or property occasioned by any accident, condition or casualty to, upon, about or adjacent to the Premises, including, but not limited to, defective wiring, other defects in the structure or its equipment, or the breaking, stopping or leaking of the plumbing, sewage, gas or heating. In the event that the Premises are damaged by the Tenants or any or guest of the Tenants, the Tenants shall bear the full cost of such repair or replacement. The Tenants shall hold the Landlord, Landlord’s agents and their respective successors and assigns, harmless and indemnified from all injury, loss, claims or damage to any person or property while on the Premises, or any other part of the Property, which is occasioned by an act or omission of the Tenants, Tenants’ licensee, invitee, or guest. The Landlord is not responsible for any damage or destruction to the Tenants’ personal property.
15. DEFAULT. If the Tenants shall be in arrears in the payment of any installment of rent, any additional payments, or any portion thereof, or in default of any other covenants or agreements set forth in this Lease (“Default”), and the Default remains uncorrected for a period of 3 days after the Landlord has given written notice thereof pursuant to applicable law, then the Landlord may, at the Landlord’s option, undertake any of the following remedies without limitation: (a) declare the Term of the Lease ended; (b) terminate the Tenants’ right to possession of the Premises and reenter and repossess the Premises pursuant to applicable law; (c) recover all present and future damages, costs and other relief to which the Landlord is entitled; (d) pursue Landlord’s lien remedies; (e) pursue breach of contract remedies; and/or (f) pursue any and all available remedies in law or equity. In the event possession is terminated by reason of a Default prior to expiration of the Term, the Tenants shall be responsible for the rent and additional payments occurring for the remainder of the Term, subject to the Landlord’s duty to mitigate such damages. Pursuant to applicable law, which is incorporated by this reference, in the event repeated or substantial Default(s) under the Lease occur, the Landlord may terminate the Tenants’ possession upon a written Notice to Quit, without a right to cure. Upon such termination, the Landlord shall have available any and all of the above-listed remedies.
16. VACANCY. If the Premises are left vacant and any part of the rent reserved hereunder is not paid, the Landlord may, without being obligated to do so and without terminating this Lease, retake possession of the Premises, without becoming liable to Tenants for damages or for any payment of any kind whatsoever. Landlord may re-let the Premises, or any part thereof, for the whole or any part of the then unexpired Term, for such rent and upon such conditions as the Landlord may think best. The Landlord may make such changes and repairs as may be required, giving credit for the amount of rent so received less all expenses of such changes and repairs, and the Tenants shall be liable for the balance of the rent herein reserved until the expiration of the Term.
17. ATTORNEYS’ FEES. In the event of breach or default by Tenants, Landlord shall be entitled to recover all costs and expenses of enforcement, including, but not limited to reasonable attorneys’ fees, whether or not litigation is actually commenced. If legal action is necessary concerning this Agreement, Tenants understand and agree that the jurisdiction and venue for such action will be Story County in the State of Iowa.
18. SEVERABILITY. If any provision of this Agreement or the application thereof shall, for any reason and to any extent, be invalid or unenforceable, neither the remainder of this Agreement nor the application of the provision to other persons, entities or circumstances shall be affected thereby, but instead shall be enforced to the maximum extent permitted by law.
19. NO WAIVER/SET OFF. No assent, express or implied, to any default of any one or more of the agreements hereof shall be deemed or taken to be a waiver of any succeeding or other default. The agreements set forth herein shall be deemed to be independent. The Tenants shall have no right to withhold or set off any rent due the Landlord.
20. MODIFICATION. The Parties hereby agree that this document contains the entire agreement between the Parties and this Agreement shall not be modified, changed, altered or amended in any way except through a written amendment signed by all of the Parties hereto.
21. MISCELLANEOUS. This Lease shall be subordinate to all existing and future security interests on the Premises. All titles and captions are for convenience only and are not a part of the Lease. This Lease shall be binding on the Parties, their personal representatives, successors and assigns. This Agreement may be executed in any number of counterparts, including, but not limited to, facsimile counterparts and/or electronic transmission, each of which shall be deemed an original, and all of which shall constitute one and the same Agreement.
Stritzel Apartments, LC
Maryanne Holland, Manager
TENANT or TENANTS
(print names underneath signatures)